Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Stop the Cycle

The Full Cycle of Domestic Violence: An Example
A man abuses his partner. After he hits her, he experiences self-directed guilt. He says, "I'm sorry for hurting you." What he does not say is, "Because I might get caught." He then rationalizes his behavior by saying that his partner is having an affair with someone. He tells her "If you weren't such a worthless whore I wouldn't have to hit you." He then acts contrite, reassuring her that he will not hurt her again. He then fantasizes and reflects on past abuse and how he will hurt her again. He plans on telling her to go to the store to get some groceries. What he withholds from her is that she has a certain amount of time to do the shopping. When she is held up in traffic and is a few minutes late, he feels completely justified in assaulting her because "you're having an affair with the store clerk." He has just set her up. Know the signs and get help. This is not normal. I am not just someone who sits behind a computer and talk. I am to encourage you to leave the relationship and if your not ready then your not ready. I can give you advice and be that listening ear. I am not here to judge. Help stop the cycle. #fightingagainstabuse #DV #endthecycle

No comments:

Post a Comment